Monday, October 14, 2013

Stories from the Subway

Ah, the subway. My primary mode of transportation (along with my feet) these days. Several things must fall into place on a daily basis in order for me to arrive on time. Now I've never been nominated for any punctuality awards, but I could always make up for running late by driving a little faster, or maybe running a red light (haha!) and I always knew the approximate time it would take to get from point A to point B. Now it's pretty much out of my control, and I just have to sit back and go with the flow. It is an exhilarating, exhausting, fun and stressful experience. I have compiled some stories from the subway (or train) for you.

1. Weekends suck when it comes to public transit. It seems a line or several is always shut down for maintenance or something like that. This weekend (and next) the 4 line that runs by my house and takes me directly into Manhattan was shut between my house and Yankee Stadium. Which meant finding an alternate route. Which was significantly slower. And it took me an hour and a half to get to church. I feel like I'm always late these days, and there's nothing I can do about it.

2. I heard a horror story from my friend about being stuck in an unmoving train last weekend. There is no cell phone service underground, so thousands of people were literally crammed into these cars, unmoving, unable to escape, and unable to communicate with the outside world. Apparently a track was broken, and they couldn't go forward. They were able to get off eventually when a rescue train came and pulled up behind them. They filed out in a line out the back of the first train into the rescue train and went back to the station they just left. Two hours. TWO hours! I don't know how I'd not have to go to the bathroom in a 2 hour time period.

3. A couple of weeks ago I boarded a train that was really crowded and I was unable to find a bar to hold on to. The train lurched forward quickly and since I wasn't holding on to anything I fell backwards. I fell into the man behind me, but I reached my arm out to catch myself and ended up knocking him in the stomach and falling back into him. Awkward....

4. Another time I found myself wedged into a corner with my back to the emergency exit door, a person seated on my left and a bicycle on my right with its owner seated to the right of the bike. More people kept coming into my car, so I ended up with my bag resting on the seat of the bike while my left leg was draped over the leg of the person sitting on my left. My back was wedged completely against the door. I didn't need a handle to hold. I wasn't going anywhere. Seriously, you'd think people would just wait for the next train. Nope.

5. There was a man with a large dresser on the train. That is all the information I have.

6. I don't know much about sports, but I think wearing a Red Sox hat on a train full of people headed to Yankee Stadium is an unwise decision.

7. Fun fact- different train lines have different announcer voices. Also, some trains haven't been updated since the 70's and you have to really focus on the announcements over the PA or you may miss your stop. Not that that's happened to me of course...

And unrelated to the subway, but still hilarious. I present a Tripp & Tyler video. These guys always make me laugh:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPY4yOmNw7w




No comments:

Post a Comment