Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Somewhere in Brooklyn

There's nothing quite like getting lost and ending up in Brooklyn. My intentions for the day started with going to see the Statue of Liberty and ended with walking the Brooklyn Bridge. I was so proud of myself for pulling out my NFT book (thanks Sam!) and figuring out the trains on my own. I jumped on the NQR line and headed south. Clearly I didn't pay attention to the fact that the lines split - and the Q train that I was riding took me into the heart of Brooklyn. Sitting on the train and watching the Manhattan skyline appear behind me was so cool.
I got off at DeKalb street and figured I may as well find DUMBO (Down Under Manhattan Brooklyn Overpass) and the park that I see in the all the movies. Well, I couldn't find the grassy refuge, but I took these cool stone steps up off the side of the road and I was on the bridge. The view was breathtaking - and I may have found my new favorite place in the city (for now, that always changes with each new place I see). I completed the walk in about 30 minutes (I had to take in the views and the art vendors) and as I crossed back into Manhattan I was welcomed by Michael Jackson's "Annie, Are You OK?" playing over loudspeakers in the square and some men break dancing. This city is so vibrant and fun.
I did get to see Lady Liberty from a distance as I crossed the bridge, but next week I plan on taking the ferry and getting to see her up close.


 Manhattan skyline as I stepped onto the bridge
 That's the Manhattan bridge and the Empire State Building
 My fleeting glimpse of the Statue of Liberty (I added the arrow for you. You're welcome).
 Love locks! These are so cool. I believe they started in Germany, and Emily told me she saw them in Prague, Czech Republic when she was there. Couples put a lock on the bridge to signify their love. Technically, it's not allowed in NYC, but the authorities turn a blind eye. I am glad, because they're so cool to see and a fun pop of color against the bridge.
 Thanks to the tourist couple who agreed to take my picture!

1 comment:

  1. The company Kelly works for is in DUMBO. It's the building next to the cool nautical themed playground. There is a carousel nearby as well. Though now that I think about it - all of that was probably swamped by Sandy. Not sure if it survived. Keep on posting. Love joining in this adventure with you.

    ReplyDelete