Monday, August 26, 2013

I Breathe You In



"I pulled up to the house around 7 or 8 and yelled to the cabbie 'yo homes, smell ya later' looked at my kingdom I was finally there..."
Now that you've all had flashbacks to your childhood, let me update on the last two days.
It has been a whirlwind, to say the least. The house in the Bronx is adorable and I'll be posting pictures soon. So much character and such wonderful women who live here. I had a moment of panic and cried when I got up to "my" room -and all the girls gave me hugs and shared their coming to the city stories. That was a huge encouragement to know that it's okay to be overwhelmed and this will become my new normal.
Sunday Amanda (pictured below) and I headed into Chelsea to attend Gallery Church - and walking through Times Square to get there was so cool! I really enjoyed the people there, although the body is a lot smaller than I expected. Maybe 50-75 people.
That afternoon we rode the subway up to the UWS to meet my friends Erica and Kate. Ride we did. We accidentally took an express train up to 125th street. My friends live in the 80s. But we were thoroughly entertained by a group of break dancers in our car who danced to Adele from 59th-125th street!
That afternoon we rested in Central Park and then enjoyed dinner with E & K watching the sun set over the Hudson River as we shared about our lives and the desires of our hearts.
This morning we ventured into Midtown for my interview at the agency. There are 6 potential families for me to interview with - hopefully next week! I'm really praying for wisdom and for a good family as I move forward in this process.
I attempted to get a library card today, because that's my favorite place, but was denied because I have no proof of my address yet (SEND ME MAIL, HINT HINT). Then we headed over to Rockefeller Ctr for lunch and what should we be given? FREE tickets to a One Direction filming for America's Got Talent. Never mind that A & I know nothing about them (they're a boy band, primarily designed to make tween girls scream and faint... given my observations are correct) we simultaneously said "yes." Why wouldn't we? I've never been inside Radio City Music Hall, so this was my chance. It was beautiful.
We mastered finding free places to use the restroom - Starbucks, Rockefeller Ctr subway, 5th floor of the public library and inside the music hall. So that was a huge success! 
The evening closed out with a wonderful dinner eaten with my new roommates.
I know the next several weeks will be a huge time of adjusting. I don't actually know how to get groceries yet... The subway system is a little confusing right now...I've walked miles and miles and my body feels it. I need to get better walking shoes...But God is good. He is faithful. He equips those He calls and He goes before me and is with me. He has allowed me to be placed in a home filled with girls who are willing to help me as I adjust and learn my way around.
He is good. I trust Him. Listen to Bryan & Katie Torwalt's song I Breathe You In, God. It's wonderful.

Good night friends.


  Amanda and I in Times Square, December 2010

1 comment:

  1. Wow! Glad you have folks around you to help you settle in to the new place. Loved this post. Have fun at American's Got Talent.

    ReplyDelete