Friday, August 16, 2013

1639

The Bronx is to NYC as Durham is to Raleigh... which may not be the best way to open up my blog.
Let's start with a history lesson (don't run away!)
Jonas Bronck. 1639.  The river was named after him, and eventually the entire borough became known as "The Bronx." Why the "the"? I don't know... The Bronx is located north of NYC and Queens and home to over a million people. There is a zoo and a botanical garden, and it is also the home of Yankee Stadium (sports fans cheer!). Why am I telling you this? Because I will be living in the Bronx as I start my adventure! A very kind lady has opened up a room in her house for me to stay until I find a roommate and apartment in Manhattan. Although at first, I admit, I was reluctant to live there, I am now seeing it as a blessing and a great way to get started on this journey.
Get ready, Bronx. August 24th, the British* invasion begins. 



*for those of you don't know, I am not making a reference to the Revolutionary war of 1775. I am a British national, but have lived in America since 1994.

3 comments:

  1. Woohoo! I'm so excited for you! Do prepare yourself for some very expensive rent for little space if you plan to reside in Manhattan. I've watched a few househunters episodes for manhattan - ouch! I really enjoyed Brooklyn when we stayed there. http://shannamama.blogspot.com/2010/10/brooklyn-is-becoming-blur.html
    And how do you know two Shannas?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What on earth are you doing in New York? (And I think you mean '76.)

    ReplyDelete