Sunday, September 1, 2013

Sundays

Last night I drifted off to sleep to the sounds of a violin, drums and a keyboard drifting up towards my window (open, of course, because there's no AC and it's stifling upstairs if they're closed). Aaah, the sweet sounds of the Bronx at night. As I type this I can hear kids yelling, a basketball pounding the pavement and women chattering. This is a very colorful place!
This morning I went back to Gallery Church, thinking fondly of my IDC Raleigh family and missing them like crazy. But building community takes time and the people of GC are wonderful. After service we went to a Thai restaurant called Spice and I got to know many people my age - one whom is named, of all things, Raleigh - and another three who are from the Raleigh area. What what, 9-1-9!
The message today was on human trafficking, and GC's involvement with an organization called RestoreNYC. I actually looked into interning with them right before I moved up here, so it's nice that my attention has been brought back to this organization. One of the guys at GC is involved in this ministry and when I mentioned my desire to use photojournalism as a way of raising awareness of social injustices, he mentioned I can probably help him with stuff! There is a meeting Thursday night that I am planning on attending so I can learn more about Restore and ways that I can contribute. I'm very excited about this potential opportunity.

I also discovered today that a bag of M&Ms is $6.15! And I am having major Target withdrawals. There is ONE in Manhattan - and it's in East Harlem. I've been told to avoid that area at all costs. So short of you guys mailing me some things (clothes, shoes, M&Ms, home goods, razors, shampoo and just the general wonderfulness of "Tar-jay" - which IS a quirky and pretentious way of referring to my addiction) I think I may have to start online shopping. Which is a dangerous game, my friends, as I am the queen of returns and will not be able to make said returns. Lest I venture to East Harlem and never return. No, but for real... ;-)

2 comments:

  1. Anything you can get from Target, you can get from Amazon. And you can make returns. You just need to know where a UPS dropoff is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay girl! I had to pull up my Iphone app, but I'm going to help you with the Target withdrawals. When I was in Brooklyn for 3 weeks I was just a few blocks from a Target that was above a subway station. It's the Atlantic Statin in Brooklyn. According to my app subway map - which by the way you should probably invest in a good one thats probably not free - you can get there on trains: Q, B, 2, 3, 4 and 5. There is definitely a younger element in the food court area - I was appalled by the language I heard, but otherwise I felt quite comfortable, though it wasn't as serene as the Targets in NC. Sounds much safer and more doable than the Harlem option however. Oh and there is an Old Navy, Chucky Cheese, Grocery store and Marshalls all right there. Hope this helps. Go to Prospect park and check out the zoo and the carousel. http://shannamama.blogspot.ca/2010/10/not-our-typical-friday.html

    ReplyDelete