Sunday, September 22, 2013

I Shook Hands with Jimmy Fallon...

...which was cool. I got a free ticket (thanks Emily) to the Thursday afternoon recording of Late Night with Jimmy Fallon. Guest star Hugh Jackman? Yeah, that was pretty great. And we got front row seats. Sadly, my debut on camera fell through. I am not that visible on screen, but I knew I was there so it counts!

I've had a busy week. I realized that yesterday was the 4 week mark of the move. I can't believe I've been here 4 weeks already!
I had my meeting with World Vision on Wednesday and it went really well- there may be a potential job for me! I have to follow the proper channels of applying and honestly, I think it may a long shot, but it's something! I am not going to complain. As soon as I know something I will let you know. Please be praying that the Lord will allow me this opportunity, and if not this that I will be content and rest in Him and His plan.

I have also started to compile a list of Crazy Customers that I have encountered in NYC thus far. I will be adding to this as I encounter more of them. Here are a few for your Sunday reading.

1. The Boozer: This customer bought one plastic mini $.74 funnel that he waited in line for about 20 minutes to purchase. He mentioned how glad he was to have found the funnel, so I asked him why. To which he responded, "I am going on a cruise, and the beer on cruises is crap and expensive. I can't bring my own on board, so I bought a bunch of catheter bags and I'm going to funnel my booze into the bags and strap them to me as I board the boat. I mean, who is going to question a dude with catheters, right?" And then he laughed loudly, thinking he was very clever. WOW! Drink much?

2. The Druggie: A man came in and bought 3 of our tiny plastic boxes. It was kind of a strange purchase, and I thought there may be a cute story; my daughter just lost some teeth so we'll put them in here for the tooth fairy, I collect buttons, etc. No. He told me he was buying them to fill with hash that he got as a gift (he specified that he was not, in fact, a drug dealer, but someone gave it to him as a present) and he was going to re-gift some to his friends. I wish I hadn't asked. The kids with the teeth were a much better picture.

3. The Helpless One: A woman purchased 4 very light tint stacking drawers, weighing in total about 5 pounds. She wanted me to discount one for a faint scratch. Then verbalized for 5 minutes how unsure she was about being able to carry them home and she wasn't sure what to do. I finally asked her if she wanted to make the purchase. "Yes. But I will need you to carry them out of the store for me. And I guess I should get a cab, because I can't carry these. I'm not a man." I rolled my eyes. I'm not known for my strength, but a toddler could have carried these. So she forced me to single handedly carry them outside for her. She then complained that she couldn't hail a cab. So I did that for her too. Then she claimed she couldn't open the trunk. I stared at her for a second in disbelief then opened the trunk. Then she complained that the trunk was dirty. I smiled and said, "well have a good evening. I have to get back inside." I hope she was able to figure out how to open the door and get inside the cab. Maybe she's still standing on the curb trying to work out how to open the door...

4. The Interior Decorator: I checked out a seemingly normal customer last weekend. I bagged up her items in our standard paper bag (we have several different colors and I believe I gave her a green one). She hesitated for a moment then whispered across the counter, "can I have a blue bag please? It's just, I may not get around to putting this stuff away tonight, and if I have to leave it out overnight, I need it to match my room. Green just clashes." Who is coming to look at her room overnight? Who would care if her shopping bag matched her room? Maybe her room was being featured on HGTV...? I fulfilled her request, but I'm still puzzled by it.

So that's been this week. I'm headed to Raleigh on Wednesday evening (Yay for Paige & Aaron's wedding) and I hope I will get to see some of you while I'm there.

Love from NYC.

 After Late Night with Jimmy Fallon
 The Empire State Building at sunset

2 comments: